Whatever you call it — downsizing, rightsizing or KonMari — simplifying and organizing your belongings offers tremendous benefits, from financial advantages and less maintenance to energy efficiency and greater happiness.
Making your surroundings fit what matters most to you is one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself and your family. But, as we all know, sorting through a lifetime of accumulated stuff isn’t easy. That’s why we’re offering some simple tips and tricks for downsizing to help you on your way.
Where Do You Begin?
- Start sooner rather than later. Moving in general is a busy time. It doesn’t matter whether you’re moving in a month or thinking about five years from now. Start the process of downsizing now before you add the stress of a move. Starting long before a move is in your sight is even better. Whether you’re 45 or 75, you’ll immediately benefit from all that streamlining and simplifying.
- Moving takes good planning. Prepare for it as you would any other important experience in your life such as going to college, getting married, starting a business and retiring. Senior living expert Brad Breeding offers a few important issues to consider as you go through the process, including understanding that you can’t keep everything and your kids may not want your stuff.
- Accept your emotions. Your belongings have become a part of your life and your memories. While culling the clutter can feel incredibly freeing, it can also bring up emotions akin to grieving. As you’re sorting through it all, let the laughter, tears and memories flow. For the things you won’t be keeping, take photos to help you recall those special memories anytime.
- Downsizing is also a gift to your family. Although they may not realize it now, you’re relieving your children of the future responsibility and burden of culling through your belongings. Take all of their comments — good and bad — in stride. Their opinions are important, but this is your life and your choice.
- Think of downsizing as a new beginning. When your belongings and space realistically fit your current lifestyle, your world opens up to new possibilities. For starters, less maintenance, more money, more time and more energy add up to more me-time for traveling, exploring your interests, and visiting friends and family. The sooner you get started, the sooner you can savor it all.
Making Your Move
So you’ve conquered downsizing your stuff and now you’re ready to choose a new downsized space that matches your lifestyle? There are additional factors to consider beyond the size of the floor plan—so you can make the best decision for you.
Consider The Importance of:
- Having a strong social network of friends
- Finding purpose and fulfillment
- Taking care of my mind, body and spirit
- Having quality health care available if I need it
- Having predictable living expenses
- Making my own choices
- Feeling true peace of mind about the future
- Protecting my estate for my loved ones
- Not burdening my family with becoming my caregiver
As you evaluate your options, we invite you to explore Beatitudes Campus. You’ll discover a vibrant community of friendly neighbors who share your interests. Plus, you’ll enjoy an array of convenient services that make life easier as well as amenities, learning programs and volunteer opportunities that bring a rewarding sense of fulfillment and purpose. Best of all, our attentive, caring staff and 5-star health services provide the ultimate peace of mind today and in the future.
We’re Here for You
To ensure your move goes as smoothly as possible, we’ve partnered with Moving Station® to bring you expert moving advice and coordination through their Moving Made Easy® program at no cost. It’s our gift to you.
As part of the program, you’ll have a Personal Relocation Manager with you every step of the way. They’ll answer your questions and help you find trusted resources for selling your home for the best price, organizing and downsizing your belongings, planning your move and more.
To learn more about Beatitudes Campus and our free moving program, call us today at 602.883.1358 or contact us online at BeatitudesCampus.org.